Sunday 9 December 2012 - Filed under tube
Star Trek Classic. Season 1, Episode 5.
- Kirk: “At night, it gets down to about 120 degrees below zero.”
- Yeoman Janice Rand is a painter. Nice touch.
- Fake Kirk kisses yeoman Rand.
- Spock: “There’s only one logical answer. We have an imposter on board.” I think this is the first time he says “logical.” He says “illogical” in that other episode.
- McCoy: “We all have our darker side. We need it. It’s half of what we are. It’s not really ugly; it’s human … A lot of what he is makes you the man you are.”
- Second use of the Vulcan Nerve Pinch.
- McCoy: “He’s dead, Jim.”
So far this is the best episode. It has the ponderous philosophy stuff that makes this show worth thinking about, and there are some good interactions between Kirk and McCoy, and between Kirk and Spock. There’s even some good Spock-McCoy stuff that’s fun to watch. Sulu continues to camp this show up in a way that’s becoming charming.
The overacting is doubled in Kirk’s evil half, which I think is symbolic of a few things. As his passive half, Shatner does some good acting. I am beginning to like Spock’s stoic leadership, but his voice is strangely less bassy in this episode.
I’m giving this a high 6/10.
2012-12-09 » me