- From whom did you receive your first real paycheck?
Aiea Public Library. As soon as I turned 15 I looked for work, and a few weeks after I applied to work at any library on my side of the island, I got the call from Aiea. I was called for an interview; I got the job. I made $3.35 per hour, working about fourteen hours a week. It was a good job. I felt rich.
- Among board games involving the exchange of money, which have you enjoyed most?
I guess Life, although one could make a weak case for Puerto Rico counting as a game involving the exchange of money. It’s just not the exchange of money from one player to the next. There is a banker role, so of course if Puerto Rico counts, then it’s Puerto Rico by a mile.
- PayDay is the name of a candy bar consisting of salted peanuts rolled in caramel surrounding a firm, nougat-like center. How does it sound to you if you haven’t tried it, and how do you like it if you have? Is there a similar candy bar you like better?
I had my first PayDay bar from the Trading Post at Camp Pupukea, and when you’re mostly eating camp food all week (which I love; don’t read me wrong), a nice, sugary, store-bought candy bar is heaven, and I do love me a PayDay bar, even though I generally don’t love caramel. I’m against the way so many candy bars taste the same: they’re all just variants on a theme, like items on a Taco Bell menu. But a candy bar without chocolate? That’s calling my name.
- When did you last do something nice for yourself just because it was pay day?
I think a month ago I bought several books I’d been waiting on. Some of them to review for the side gig. Also a couple of baseball books. I’ll share details when I’ve finished reading them.
- What person with the surname Day are you most familiar with?
It surprises me that nobody who’s already answered this question has said Daniel Day-Lewis. After him, the highest profiles have to go to Doris Day and Morris Day, but neither of them can really compare to a multiple-Oscar-winning actor, I don’t think. I’m also familiar with Pat Day, from the days of my youth when I did my best to be an avid follower of thoroughbed racing.
- Who’s your favorite member of the Partridge Family?
It’s no contest. Laurie Partridge. She was so pretty in that show. And I liked her (usually) being more level-headed and mature than her brothers. She often had a kind of interested observer persona, something I think she got from her mom. Laurie was a terrible lip-syncer but that slight overbite and no bangs? Totally made up for it. Too cute for school. That’s the saying, right?