I need to be really, really vague here, because I don’t know who reads this and who doesn’t–I may even change a few details to protect, well, myself. Also, The List is kinda messed up because some of its former members have been married in recent years, and I haven’t totally let go of them. The List is not such a simple thing that when someone’s removed, everyone else just moves up. A person’s position is somewhat influenced by the others in the area. It’s a very intuitive thing, not something with a well-defined formula, is what I’m trying to say.
- Still R, I am sad to admit
- An elementary school teacher I have known since college. She’s sweet and kinda funny, and really cute, and maybe the lowest-maintenance person on The List.
- A schoolmate at UH-Hilo. I’ve no idea what she’s doing nowadays. She was an English major and has since earned an M.Div. and I’m pretty sure she’s not in Hawaii anymore. I know how to get in touch with her if I ever decide to. Smart and funny and the second-most beautiful woman I knew in Hilo (after L.E., whom I’ve written about here in the past). I’ve kinda kept away from her since my graduation from college because she’d be very, very, very easy to fall in love with. I ran into her at a wedding a few years ago and the recovery took weeks. Weeks! I still think about the long coversations we had that weekend and wonder what would have happened if . . . but enough of that. Whew. I think I need a cold drink.
- A person at my church. She’s years younger than me — I won’t pretend that’s not something of an issue. She’s more mature than me, though, so I think it could be worked out. She really seems to get me; that’s not something I’m used to. #2 doesn’t really get me, and #3 is more impressed with me than I think she should be. #4 seems to be mostly amused by my tortured persona, and that really appeals to me. Also, she does one of the few jobs I consider more important than mine.
- High school teacher I’ve known since UH-Manoa. Smart, misunderstood, and cute. We had a near miss some time ago. A very near miss. I wonder if that ruins any chance of us ever being together. We’re a lot alike, which also makes me think this could never work. My friends really like her.
- Younger sister of a good friend. Also probably too young..
- Former co-worker. Maybe the highest-maintenance person I know. This would be doomed from the start, but she’s so cute I can’t stand it. She’s currently seeing someone I like but don’t approve of. She has a knack for getting into comfortable, not-unhealthy-but-not-healthy relationships.
- Actress in The Bourne Supremacy and 10 Things I Hate About You. Major minus: Don’t know about what she believes, unlike everyone else on this list. The Christian thing is #1 on my other list.
I think I’m missing a few people. It’s been a few years since I actually itemized the list, ‘though numbers 2 and 3 have been pretty much the same for a long time.