In ascending order, the cutest animals (not counting baby animals, almost all of which are cute):
- Bunnies. Quiet thoughtfulness. I wonder if this impression I have of them is influenced by Watership Down.
- Platypi. I think I relate to their unique, difficult-to-categorize place in the animal kingdom.
- Aardvarks. Did you know that aardvarks are anteaters, but not all anteaters are aardvarks?
- Polar bears. I could spend hours just watching polar bears. They were my favorite thing at the San Diego Zoo when I went in 1984.
- Cats. I’m a recent convert, but one thing I love about them is the way they are often the only animate thing in cityscapes. Meowing is pretty cute, too.
- Sheep. I don’t know what it is, but I am drawn to them. Their mild-manneredness and gentle demeanors? Not sure, but I want to own sheep someday.
- Penguins. In that summer of 1984, I also went to Sea World, and if I’d been there alone, I’d have spent hours in the Penguin Encounter.
- Dogs. Oh, my goodness. Man’s best friend, indeed.
- Sea otters. I really want to plan my next trip around seeing some otters in California sometime in the next year. They’re so cute!