- What’s a food that tastes completely unlike anything else you can think of?
I suspect that one reason truffles are so dang expensive is that nothing tastes anything like them. There aren’t any cheaper taste-alikes, so if you want that flavor, you have to pay whatever they’re asking. I don’t even know if I really like them: all I taste is expensive, you know?
- What’s a movie that’s completely unlike any movie you can think of?
Bubba Ho-Tep, a movie I hate. Bruce Campbell is Elvis Presley living in a nursing home. I know people who are crazy about this movie, and they’re the kind of people who would normally make me want to reconsider my response, but that would mean watching this again and I simply can’t imagine myself doing so.
- Who’s a musician or band you consider completely unoriginal but whom you still like?
Well, I’m a big fan of 80s hair metal, so that’s almost a whole genre of unoriginal bands. For me, the most emblematic of the talented no-talent bands is Poison, whom I really dig.
- Who or what are two people or things you keep mixing up with one another?
For the longest time, despite having seen a bunch of each of their films, I couldn’t keep Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gosling, and Bradley Cooper straight. Now I’ve sorta got Reynolds separated out, but I don’t think I can say with any confidence which of Gosling and Cooper I’m looking at if I haven’t looked at the credits first.
- What’s something you’ll do this weekend that’s different from your normal weekend activity?
I might see a movie in a theater, something I think I’ve done once in the past three years or so. I’m annoyed that I haven’t made time to see more films this year, but I’ve been so danged busy. I’m even planning to put myself to bed before 10:30 this evening so I might be able to sleep in AND catch an early matinee.