Lockdown: Slurring my meals

When I wrote about my Tuesday at the laundry early Wednesday morning, I wasn’t sure I’d go to the beach on my way home. I just wasn’t feeling it. But if there’s a positive theme about all my lockdown time, it’s making myself do stuff I don’t want to do, even when there’s nobody to pressure me to do it, and learning it doesn’t suck that badly.

Surf musta been up, because I didn’t see good parking on the Kewalo end, where I’d hoped to jump in. Found a good spot on the Magic Island end, right where the pavilions begin. Goofed off on my phone while waiting for sunrise, and then jumped in ten minutes before dawn anyway. I seldom swim in dark water, but it looked pretty inviting.

I kind of thought I might just cruise, since it was my third morning in the water in five days, but I found myself pushing, and it felt good, so I just went with it. The water felt so nice that I lingered, staying in the ocean a bit longer than usual. I even spent a little bit of time in prayer, which is something of a worrisome trend lately, when I’m cooling down in the water after a good swim.

I stopped for breakfast at Pancakes and Waffles. Something called the P&W omelette. It was good. I had enough left over for lunch, too.

I’m behind on these stories. My supervisor’s getting a little impatient, and I totally get it. I just really don’t like the feel of this one story that’s holding me up. I worked on it most of the day, and put it aside to work on the other. I didn’t complete anything. I had one phone call (my weekly one-on-one with my supervisor) and one Zoom meeting, for some work we’re doing with the Cancer Center.

After work, I made the first of three new (to me) meals I planned. Beef stroganoff in the Instant Pot. I didn’t really plan on something so heavy, as you’ll see with my other choices this week. I was just browsing recipes and the photo looked interesting to I went with it. It came out pretty good, but then I tried to thicken it with a cornstarch slurry, following optional instructions in the recipe. I still can’t do it. I don’t know what my issue is, but thickening things with cornstarch just doesn’t work for me.

I wouldn’t say I ruined it, because it’s still edible and it’s not bad, but ugh. It’s not great.

I ate it while watching Bill and Ted Face the Music, the third film in the series. It’s pretty stupid and pretty clever and even pretty funny.

I don’t want to get into it (because it’s a tiresome story that keeps repeating) but I crashed Wednesday night before putting myself properly to bed, sometime around 10:00. It was terrible, because I kept waking up and telling myself to get up and turn off lights, brush my teeth, and put myself to bed. And I kept falling asleep, and waking up and — shoot, I said I wasn’t going to get into it.

I forced myself out of bed at about 2:30 in the morning, and I was kind of hungry, so I ate some leftover bread and leftover tuna, chatting with my friend Victoria about NaNoWriMo on FB messenger. Finally got everything taken care of and myself back in bed at 4:30.

I snacked on some clementines between lunch and dinner. Forgot to mention that.

I traded a bunch of texts with Penny about buying a laptop. Crush Girl and I texted quite a bit about some stuff we’ve been watching. I mentioned Central Park and Grace and Frankie (which I still haven’t watched). She mentioned that My Octopus Teacher documentary everyone’s talking about. Then we talked a little about some Steve Martin films we both like.

When the Amazon fairy brought those Pitch Perfect DVDs Tuesday, it also brought a replacement memory foam matress-topper. The one I had was ancient, a Christmas gift from George a million years ago. It’s been falling apart, and the entire lower right corner ripped completely off, making it a bit uncomfortable to sleep on my back, which I sorta have to do with Darth Vader on my face. It’s weird what you make yourself get used to.

The new mattress topper is nicer than the last, and half the price. I’m quite pleased, and it’s one reason I crashed so quickly last night before I really meant to. I shan’t make this mistake again, at least not this evening.

If you need someone to connect with, feel free to leave a comment. I’ll send contact info and we can text the night away, if I’m not face-planted, drooling into my new matress-topper.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *